Primary Navigation

From Village to City

By: Ameline Magne 

Travel is a good thing for some of us. But the situations that you can be confronted with during your traveling may affect you mentally and physically. Yes, I have traveled. That happened three years in Cameroon, my country. I was about to take my grandmother from the village to the city. Why? Because she was sick and needed somebody to take care of her. I didn’t want her to stay in the village but my grandma was a little bit stubborn. She didn’t want to leave. 

In spite of her illness, she liked going to the farm, and working hard for six hours and exposing herself to the sun. That made her more sick. But nothing was going to take away from her routine. Now, we were going to take her to the hospital when we got to the city. The day before traveling, my grandma was looking very tired and crying all night because of her headaches, pain in her stomach, and pain in her back. We got to the bus station at six in the morning. The sky was cleaning up but looking like it was going to rain at the same time. I was similar to a fish in the freeze. Grandma coughed too much because of the cold. 

We had to make a line before buying the tickets. Grandma and I were the last. 

We waited an hour to get our tickets, but five minutes later we got onto the bus. Sitting in the back, and waiting on the driver who was drinking beer in the front of the restaurant beside the station. We finally started moving at 9. While my grandma was sleeping on my left shoulder, I looked out the window. On the side of the road, homeless people begged for money, farmers carried corn, potato bags on their heads, and hunters sold rats. On the bus, babies were crying and people were talking on their cell phone. Some teenagers were singing and making trouble. It was only two hours before we would arrive in Edea. From there, we continued to the city and the hospital. Grandma was still asleep, but woke up coughing. We were about to cross the bridge and the driver accelerated and everybody was scared. His reckless driving captured the attention of the police. The driver ran a stop sign and then the police decided to pull over the bus. The police demanded all the identification cards from the travelers. But guess what? My grandmother forgot hers.

The police decided to take her off the bus with the other people who did not have theirs. I left with my grandma because I couldn’t leave her on the side of the road between Edea and the hospital. Twenty of us were left behind. Thirty minutes later it rained. The bus had long left with the people who had their identification cards, and the police held us for an hour. Tired of moving up and down, my grandma collapsed between the crowd. Due to the heavy rain, the police left us without calling an ambulance for my grandma. I carried her in my arms. There was no local hospital to look for. The bus driver and police abandoned us at a place we didn’t know. It was cold and quiet. The night arrived and we were tired and hungry. We finally found a taxi to drive us to the city hospital. But we got to a small health center instead. We weren’t helped by any nurses till the next morning. My grandma was better than last night. She ate, and she took some pills. Then we planned to continue on our trip. Somebody told us the city was very close from there if we took the train. We got in a taxi to the train station. After getting our tickets, we finally got onto the train. We started moving in the early afternoon. We planned to be there in 45 minutes. The trip was so smooth until we heard a voice talking about a derailment. The train that went before us derailed and crashed. We had to wait till the derailed train was cleared from the tracks. We got off the train and took another bus. My grandmother didn’t have her identity card and we were worried. I had to pay double the price for the bus because she didn’t have it. We traveled on the bus for an hour, and we finally arrived. I thought my Aunty would be waiting for us, but, by my surprise, the police came to find us. But they were here to make sure everything was okay. This was a favor my Aunty had asked because we were supposed to arrive two days earlier, and she had been waiting for us. She panicked and she decided to consult the police. But, here we were now – finally arriving. I saw my Aunty at the hospital. My grandma was tired and ill, but thank God she was alive.